Thursday, December 17, 2009

HP C5180 Printer, ethernet connection and wireless network?

Just bought the above named printer and it has an Ethernet port.





I have a wireless network setup at home. Both my main PC and Laptop connect wirelessly to the internet via my:





Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 switch





The instruction on my printer manual tells how to connect the printer to a 'router, switch, or hub' with a Ethernet cable. Can I make a physical connection between my Netgear Router and my printer using the Ethernet cable and therefore my PC and laptop then connect wirelessly to the router that then communicates with my printer?





Could someone explain this to me I'm quite confused.HP C5180 Printer, ethernet connection and wireless network?
OK - Without getting too technical, the short answer is yes you can.





The Netgear router has 4 ports for traditional wired connections using Cat5 cables as well as supporting wireless connections. This is designed to deal with situations exactly like yours where some devices can communicate wirelessly but some still need a wire connection.





Your printer doesn't have a wireless card so you will need to connect it to one of the 4 ports on the router using a Cat5 cable as your documentation describes.





Your PC and laptop can communicate to each other through the router using wireless connections to the router and they will both be able to see the printer if it is connected with a cable.





Just make sure that they are all either using the router as a DHCP server or are all in the same TCP/IP subnet.

1 comment: